The following Burke UMC ministries
will continue as our building is closed:
-The grocery co-op is open its regularly scheduled hours.
·We have weekend food bags ready to distribute as we learn of need.
· We will continue to provide meals for Lamb Center and Hot Breakfast for the Homeless.
· We are working with FACETS providing meals for Hypothermia
· The food from Middle School munchies is being used by FACETS.
· We are continuing with the daily gleaning program
· Rising Hope knows to call us if they have a need.
· We are responding to calls of donations that can’t be used and moving them to where they are needed.
We will be doing all these activities with a small core group of volunteers to minimize interaction that may lead to contagion. (We do not need additional volunteers at this point.) However - we anticipate serving a growing number of people. Our needs will be great. So if you are shopping for yourself and can toss in a few additional items, we would be very grateful. Please see the information below and to the right.
COMMUNITY CO-OP SHOPPING LIST
Items can be dropped off in box in the front circle of Burke UMC
Canned Fruit in water or juice
Canned Vegetables -low salt
Canned Soup or Chili or Stew
Canned Tuna or Chicken or other meat
Bags of Rice /Bags of beans
Can or jar of Spaghetti Sauce
Macaroni and Cheese
Apples and oranges
How You Can Help:
Click the box below to donate to a COVID-19 support fund that will be used to address needs in our local community.
Updates From Community Partners:
- ECHO – Needs food and financial donations desperately!! They are open in the morning from 9:30- noon. Only food, cleaning/ health products, and financial donations will be accepted They are observing social distancing protocols.
- Rising Hope – will not be holding services. Lunch will be available as a take-away meal. The food pantry will be making prepacked bags available for their regular families. They are accepting the donations BUMC gleans for them from Whole Foods.
- FACETS – . During this uncertain time, the individuals and families FACETS serves are more dependent than ever on FACETS for food, shelter and other essential services. There doors remain open but they can’t do it alone and are reaching out to our community for help.
HOW TO HELP:
Donate Non-Perishable Food Items, cleaning items or Gift Cards at FACETS Main Office: 10700 Page Avenue, Building B, Fairfax, VA 22030.
The most-needed items include:
- Breakfast Foods: Oatmeal, Cereal, Breakfast Bars, Granola Bars
- Canned Meats or Fish: Tuna, Chicken, Stew, Chili, Etc.
- Peanut Butter & Jelly
- Pasta & Pasta Sauce
- Canned Vegetables & Fruit
- Packets of Peanut Butter Crackers and Cheese Crackers
- Bottled Water
- Household Cleaning Supplies
(Clorox Wipes, Lysol, Bleach, Paper Towels)
- Hand Sanitizer
- Antibacterial Soap
- Rubber Gloves
- Volunteer with FACETS. Volunteers are needed to help with food distributions, increased cleaning schedules, transportation, assisting students and families with remote learning, and other activities. Please contact Tammy at email@example.com.
- Donate money to help with financial needs:
- Lamb Center: beginning on Monday, the Lamb Center will be running the Saturday schedule all week (8:00 am -12:30pm). They will be serving breakfast and lunch. They have asked for donations of hand sanitizer, bottles of hand soap and wash cloths.
- Schools: Breakfast will be available from 8 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and lunch will be available from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., Monday through Friday at 39 locations (closest site is Burke School, 9645 Burke Lake Road). Click here for complete list. https://www.fcps.edu/news/coronavirus-update-food-resources
- Neighborhood and Community Services: provides access and referrals to both government and community-based resources for assistance with, but not limited to: food, shelter, employment, financial assistance, and healthcare. Call: 703-222-0880, TTY 711 Monday-Friday, 8 am – 4:30 pm